Recreational and commercial boating/shipping tracking

Obviously the XYO network could become a major evolution (revolution) in how we track not just ships, or their containers but rather right down to each/all individual product(s) in each/all the containers on each/all ships.
So that is not my use case !
For people unfamiliar with ‘A.I.S’ systems, here is a brief over view. AIS = ‘Automated ID system’
AIS is a satellite facilitated system.

~ [link]https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=AISFAQ[/link] ~

US Coast Guard requires an AIS transponder on most all commercial fishing and shipping vessels of any significant size. The hardware (transponders that ping ‘out’ and receive data on other vessels) is not cheap ! However for users that do not wish to ‘ping out’ their position but simply be able to monitor a given water way for large (threatening) maritime traffic, you can use a simple phone app. This is quite useful inshore when near or crossing a high traffic channel. A simple phone app has it’s clearly defined limitation of ‘cell range’. No cell data, no AIS information using a phone app.
I feel that XYO network’s vision and road map has reasonable benchmark expectations. In the road map there is a clear ambition to elevate the network beyond terrestrial based ‘sentinels’ and monitors to a fully satellite enabled system. My use case would not be possible until there was in place, a solid web of satellites expanding the network’s functionality from land based tracking to tracking anything, any where on the planet’s surface (and/or up to the satellite web elevation of course).
‘Use case’ once a satellite web is deployed and operable:
I, as a small vessel, recreational sailor would love to be able to have a simple, cheap or better… free, phone app that receives AIS type of data on shipping, regardless of cell phone range, much like the way I use a GPS chart plotter that works off of satellites regardless of cell range. If I had buck$ to burn I would have an AIS transponder. I do not have one because 1. co$t, 2. I rarely feel the need to broadcast my position as I am so small I am not threat to a large vessel.
But wouldn’t it be nice… If XYO network was capable of sending a phone app the location data queried, anywhere on the planet ? Or even better, what if that phone app (and possibly the use of a small hard/software ‘dongle’ for the phone?) was able to ping my position ?
Example: 1. I am merely day sailing on a clear/high visibility day in fair weather. Then I may briefly check for large vessel traffic that may threaten me, yet I do not ‘ping out’ my position.
2. I am on a longer multi day/week excursion. I am sailing often at night and through inclement (low visibility) weather. I want family and friends to be able to easily check in on my position and progress.
In this second scenario, perhaps I (anybody) could with a simple ‘toggle’ switch in the device app, enable my position ‘ping out’.
So What is so great about that idea?
Right now an AIS transponder costs between $600.00 and $2500.00. If I were to purchase and install one it would be a very expensive R.O.I in that I would only use it perhaps an accumulated five to twenty five hrs in a given six month sailing season. Even a less expensive $600.00 unit would cost me $30.00 an hr if I used it for an accumulated 20 hrs of use in the first season.
If XYO network was developed to be capable of satellite enabled tracking, it could be a service that is paid for by/with XYO tokens. If the token value (USD equivalent) was such that pinging my position occasionally cost me $2.00 USD value for my time on the network that would be a huge savings, make the functionality of an AIS type tracking much more affordable and versatile to the recreational sailor such as myself.
I think it would be the ‘bee’s knees’ to have a phone app that I enable for short durations when checking potential traffic threats on the water. However, even better, it would be so cool if I could simply enable an occasional (once/twice a day) ‘ping out’ of my position that friends and family could monitor for my progress and safety. Being a token holder, having an account that is funded I picture occasionally accessing the ‘ping out’ functionality and having the use be logged and charged to my account and paid for in XYO tokens.
Picture the ‘Spot personal tracker’ on steroids and for a modicum of the service cost!

Four years ago if I wanted to have a GPS enabled ‘chart plotter’ I would have to spend at least $800.00 and get ‘juiced’ on additional digital chart costs.
Today I have the same open source (free) chart plotter software on three different inexpensive devices. I have the software installed on my phone as an app, on a tablet as an app and on my laptop as well. If you include the price of the hardware (which do so, so much more than simple chart plotter functions) I have invested less than $500.00 to have the same basic chart plotter on board ‘In Triplicate’.
I want to see this afford ability and increased availability of AIS type tracking made possible by XYO network !

This is really interesting - thanks! We’ll do some looking into how the current system in place works and where we might be able to make in-roads.

The ability to “ping out” can be useful in a lot of similar situations - hunters, hikers, backwoods camping, etc. A big rule for hikers is “let someone know where you’re going and when you’ll be back.” This wouldn’t alleviate that, but would be an added level of emotional security for friends and family.

The ability to “ping out” can be useful in a lot of similar situations"

Exactly ~
For safety, one should always submit a ‘flight plan’.
However, whether hiking, sailing or flying etc…
If things ‘go south’ more oft than not the tasks at hand overwhelm the time option to make frequent updates on position (manually). This in turn often results in a rather in accurate correlation between:
“Last known position” and ‘Actual position’.

Would blockchain work for voting?