Origin Chain length

It doesn’t hurt! You can even use the copied file to clone your bridge as @Yompster showed us here
Building a Bridge?

0 Likes

Tried one pi on “sentinel mode” and another pi on “bridge mode” Still origin chain of 1.

0 Likes

I mentioned this in a post months ago and after seeing this I thought I would remind folks. If you look at your bridge information, specifically the Archivist IP address, you will notice that it uses a single port. If you have a normal home network setup, by default your router is going to block traffic to and from that port. Y’all need to get into your router’s setup and poke a hole in your firewall for that port. Set a UDP and TCP pinhole for that port. My bridges are at 2080 and 3880 origin length.

Edit: they are at 2020 & 3831 today.

4 Likes

Great advice, Ric! Thanks for this! My chain length is at 2 now; we’ll see if that changes, now that I have a port open for the archivist. We need incoming and outgoing TCP and UDP for the port(s) being used by our listed archivist(s), correct?

I guess when they officially turn on the Bridge-Archivist system, they’ll publish a good set of directions(?). Hope so!

0 Likes

Thanks Ric I’m working on setting up a pinhole but I’m running into trouble. Do I use the “IPv6 Pin-holing” bar in my router setup? I see options for TCP protocol and UDP. Not sure what to enter for “Local IP” “Remote IP” “Local Port” and “Remote Port” I tried entering in the default archivist number that is listed when I add the archivist but I keep getting “invalid IP address” when I try this

1 Like

2 Likes

It sounds like you are trying to use the wrong function in your router. You want to create a simple firewall rule. What router do you have?

1 Like

FYI, once your home network is setup correctly, your origin chain will grow. These are my two bridges that have been running since I received them in December 2018.

2 Likes

I’ll take a look at the firewall tab and see if I can find the rule set there. I’m at work right now but if I have trouble I’ll pm you the router I have. Thanks for the quick replies Ric

0 Likes

Happy to help . :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I’m also curious if it’s possible to set a pinhole for iOS mobile hotspot. I had my bridges connected using mine and had the same issue

0 Likes

‘Set Up Correctly’ ??
The instructions in the box :package: just say to plug :electric_plug: in and connect to the internet.
What else do we need to do?

0 Likes

Can we get some clarification on this? The instructions mention nothing about needing router adjustments

2 Likes

My belief is that they used the basic original instructions for the XY FindIt company. The original sentinels that were the main business of XY FindIt and actually still is their main business, before XYO was around, was to compete with the Tile®. Put a sentinel on your keys so you can find them sorta thing. That only required using the XY FindIt app and there is a XY FindIt website that you can still see a map and the last known location etc.
What XYO did not take into consideration was the connection required to the Archivist by the bridges. Which just goes to show you how shortsighted they are about some things. It’s worrisome for me because firewall operations are not widely understood by the average Internet user and believe me, you want your firewall working correctly at all times.

1 Like

So are you suggesting we need to change our router firewall settings to give the bridge permission?

0 Likes

Correct. Otherwise your firewall is going to have that port blocked by default. Well, it should be blocking it anyway if it was installed properly by the technician. And just to be clear, it’s your router firewall, not the firewall in Windows Defender.

0 Likes

Thanks, do you know which port it is? Or how to find out which port?

0 Likes

Look at the settings in your bridge. You should be connected to the “default Archivist” and if you aren’t, click the button to add it. Eventually there will be may Archivists to connect to, but right now only the XYO network archivist is available. It will list the IP address and port you need for your pinhole in the firewall.

2 Likes

I put some directions in another post for more clarity.
https://geohackers.xyo.network/t/origin-chain-length/2179/2?u=ricthesoundguy

1 Like

Thanks !!
I clicked the link but I said I don’t have access to that topic ? :slightly_frowning_face:

0 Likes